MiO2 – Technological Advancements for Healthcare
MiO is a system that includes a software (a mobile application) and a hardware (a wearable device). It helps monitor our health issues, including: calories burned tracking via daily activities, calories absorbed tracking via daily meals, or sleep and emotion tracking via analyzing social network interactions.
Stressing on user data analysis is one of MiO strength, it givesusers useful and effective suggestions to improve their healthcare knowledge. Moreover, MiO also concern about improving User experience (UX) and User interface (UI) and try to satisfy them more.
MiO development plan at this stagehas just concentrated on developing Windows phone application and hardware prototype.
Our system monitors 4 groups of information:
- Calories burned tracking via daily activities
- Sleep tracking: sleep time, deep sleep time…
- Calories absorbed tracking via daily meals
- Emotion tracking: via user interaction in social network (facebook, twitter…)
System Overview Diagram
- Users: who wear encircling strips worn on the wrists or bring portable devices along in the process of calories burned. Their health status will be constantly updated via their smart phones.
- Family members, friends, doctors: who use system as a social media, where they can follow other’s health status. By then they can have more ideas to help their friends, or their patients get better.
- Windows Phone: is either a data collector from user input (camera, GPS, voice, sensor…) or a signal collector via other devices (WristBand) synchronizing all data in Cloud
- Wrist Band: which is a portable hardware device helps system get exactly relevant information via emotion sensors, provides users more information for their medical treatments (cardiovascular issues, temperature….)
- Azure Cloud Services: Collect and analyze data from Windows Phone, then give back brief report. It connects people like a small social network. SQL Azure Database is easily multiplied so money is saved up.
2- SYSTEM ACHITECTURE
3 main layers in System architecture:
- Hardware Interface: Hardware devices supply relevant data to system in monitoring 2 mines of information: user activities and user sleep routines.
- Data Layer: saved in Windows Azure Service
- Data Process: Where data is processed, smoothed down. It provides structure data for Analysis report layer. Data process includes:
- – Bigdata: Deal with big and complex data, using Hadoop source code and Splunk to index, search, and reorder database quickly and effectively.
- – Nature Language Processing: includes some components in native language, analyzes status structures and feeling emotions from social network.
- – Data mining: Exploit database.
- – Image Processing: Image processing and object recognition algorithms, using Suft, and Sift.
- – Application: is the highest layer in application. It displays information and makes suggestions which help users find out the ways to change their routines to reach scheduled target.
3- COMPONENT ARCHITECTURE & SCIENTIFIC BASIS
Data Processing Layer component architecture and scientific basis are as follows:
3.1- SENTIMENT ANALYSIS
Negative emotions make negative impacts on human health. Detecting user emotions help our system give them helpful advices for a healthier life. So, we use Sentiment Analysis (in data processing layer) to detect user emotions based on user-generated content, such as: Facebook status, Twitter tweet,,,. Then, the system will analyze recent user emotions and give back advice to help users make the right decisions.
3.2- SURF ALGORITHM
Surf algorithm is used in Data processing layer in System architecture to recognize what sort of food via a camera. It means with a food picture input, users can know its calories content and nutrient compositions
3.3- CALORIES BURN
Calorie control is so important because if you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight, and if you eat less calories than you burn, you lose weight.
This calculator is based on MET (Metabolic Equivalent) data for physical activities from “The Compendium of Physical Activities Tracking Guide” by B. E. Ainsworth. Each individual activity within this calculator has a MET value associated with it. A MET value represents the ratio of energy (i.e. calories) required to perform a particular activity relative to your BMR, where BMR is the amount of energy required to simply sit or lie quietly (while not digesting any food). The MET values are not displayed to you when you use the calculator, but they are entered into a formula that estimates your calorie burn by multiplying the MET value for your chosen activity by the duration time of your activity and by your calculated BMR. Estimation of BMR is based on the widely used and accepted Harris-Benedict equations. The equations used by this calculator are shown below:
For males: BMR=13.75*WKG+5*HC-6.76*Age+66
For females: BMR=9.56*WKG+1.85*HC-4.68*Age+655
BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate (over 24 hours)
MET = Metabolic Equivalent (for selected activity)
T = Activity duration time (in hours)
HC = Height (in centimeters)
WKG = Weight (in kilograms)
3.4- SLEEP ANALYSIS
Sleeping quality is important and makes an enormous impact on human health. Calculating right time to sleep will help us be more concentrated and active at work. To monitor and analyze sleep condition, we’re building2 sleep informationreception models: self-motivated sleep condition updated via mobile app and MiO wearable sensor device (develop in long-term)
The table below is average sleep needs by age to maintain health:
|Average Sleep Needs by Age|
|Newborn to 2 months old||12 – 18 hours|
|3 months to 1 year old||15 – 15 hours|
|1 to 3 years old||12 – 14 hours|
|3 to 5 years old||11 – 13 hours|
|5 to 12 years old||10 – 11 hours|
|12 to 18 years old||8.5 – 10 hours|
|Adults (18+)||7.5 – 9 hours|
4- DESIGN CONCEPT
|Quick access menu (to Sleep screen)||Quick access menu (to Activity screen).|